This series explores the processes that kill planets. Planetary death includes events that lead to mass extinctions (for instance, asteroid impacts), total sterilization of the planet’s surface (for example, loss of the oceans), and planetary destruction (for instance, by falling onto a star).
- Introduction: How planets die
- How planets die: when good Jupiters go bad!
- How planets die: fried by tidal volcanoes!
- How planets die: climate catastrophe!
- How planets die: roasted or eaten by their aging stars!
- How planets die: pulverized by a deluge of asteroids and comets
But don’t get down. Up next are Second Chance Planets. These are planets with a second chance at having livable conditions.